Mc Kinsey - Global cities of the future.

bezawada

Mc Kinsey - Global cities of the future.

Postby bezawada » June 14th, 2014, 8:50 pm

2 cities from seemandhra (Vijayawada/Vizag) managed to find a place in the list.

As it appears from the list, Vijayawada will overtake Vizag to become the largest city in seemandhra..
While Vijayawada will be the SA's largest city by 2025 in terms of size, Vizag will continue to dominate in terms of GDP and per capita GDP.

- Vijayawada 2025 population 25,45,000
- Vizag 2025 population 22,50,000

Even in terms of 2010 population, Vijayawada is close to Vizag meaning both the cities are close competitors in terms of size at the moment.
There are few ppl in this forum who don't have anything to contribute other than spitting venom on Vijayawada.
It's high time they realize the facts.

So far, there hasn't been any support from the government towards Vijayawada in terms of investments/branding/ industrialization. It is completely because of the local entrepreneurship and the strategic location that the city has come all the way till this stage. One can imagine the progress the city will make if the govt promotes it and bring in some industrialization/investments around this region.

No that the state has been split and the buzz of Vijayawada being considered as a hot investment destination, lets hope that the govt realizes the potential of Vijayawada and creates a brand out of it.

http://www.mckinsey.com/insights/econom ... active_map

tpsk1
Telugu Bidda

Re: Mc Kinsey - Global cities of the future.

Postby tpsk1 » June 15th, 2014, 9:46 pm

Thanks for bringing this up.

This is a very old story. It was a report from Mckinsey some time in June 2012 I believe.

But FYI, population of Vizag has crossed 20 Lakhs as per official Govt Of India Census.

And coming to your point of neglecting Vijayawada for the sake of Vizag or Other cities, I would not say anything but laugh at it. Don't think I am rude or something. Being the power centre of AP and having all great business houses from Vijayawada like, Lingamaneni, Lanco etc., I would say it is not neglected.

What kind of development are you looking at from Vijayawada? Only reasons you say are Centre of AP, Largest Bus stand, Busiest Railway Junction anything else? Look brother, they are not the growth factors. Growth Factors are the ones which bring money to the state/exchequer in huge amounts.

For example, Industries , Sea Ports, Airports, Agriculture/Farming etc. They are the factors behind GDP.

Vijayawada neither have or cannot have a Seaport. It has no major Industry. Only Agro based Industry can be developed in those most fertile lands. Any Industry would spoil it. Also, Industries will be located where there is availability of Raw material. Surroundings of Vijayawada has only Food Grains as raw material. So only Agro based Industries can be developed there.

Coming to Airport, Existence of it never serves the purpose. There should be usage of it. Even Vizag airport used to be small like Vijayawada, since the number of travellers from Vizag has gone up, due to population and purchasing power of the people Airport was expanded. This population and Purchasing power is again linked to the Industries and Economy (GDP).

IT, do you know why IT companies are not looking at Vijayawada, even though you have excellent rail and road connectivity, even air connectivity? IT companies look for so many parameters other than connectivity like industrial relations, city infrastructure, culture, law & order and mainly nightlife. Which Vijayawada is lacking somewhat.

Last but not least, let us not cry foul or crimp about what happened in the past, rather we should do our bit to have our place, be it Vijayawada, Vizag, Tirupati or whatever, I would say whole of new AP to develop at a fast pace giving importance to all the regions with uniform development all round.

I know that from Last 10 years what had happened in the state, Development was concentrated only in and around Hyderabad at the cost of other places. I also know, how money and resources were transferred to Hyderabad for its development.

So do not worry, now it is our time. We will collectively develop our place and first of all we should stop this infighting.

I may be wrong and my tone/language would have hurt you. I apologize for that. I don't know how to put it in a better way. I only wish all of us to be united and fight for the rightful development of our place (AP).

Thanks,
Suresh
Suresh Kumar T.P

bezawada

Postby bezawada » June 16th, 2014, 1:53 am

tpsk1 wrote:This is a very old story. It was a report from Mckinsey some time in June 2012 I believe.
But FYI, population of Vizag has crossed 20 Lakhs as per official Govt Of India Census.

The report clearly states the 2010 population even for Vijayawada, not the 2014 population. It is not the latest even for Vijayawada agglomeration and we also claim a lot of population growth here also in the last 4 years.
As far as I am aware, census is taken once in 10 years (last being 2011 and the next will only be in 2021).

tpsk1 wrote:And coming to your point of neglecting Vijayawada for the sake of Vizag or Other cities, I would not say anything but laugh at it. Don't think I am rude or something. Being the power centre of AP and having all great business houses from Vijayawada like, Lingamaneni, Lanco etc., I would say it is not neglected.

I have clearly mentioned that Vijayawada has come all the way because of local entrepreneurship. LEPL, Lanco, Agrigold, Laila group, PVP --> All these are the business houses started by local entrepreneurs. These are not the investments that were driven by govt. Please go through my post clearly.I have mentioned that it is neglected by govt and not by the locals. Tell me the initiatives taken by govt to promote Vijayawada all these years ? It is you guys who are claiming Vizag was neglected at the cost of Hyderabad and will again be neglected at the cost of Vijayawada if it is made the capital of AP. Despite having ports, steel plant, universities and major industries when you guys claim Vizag is neglected, then my claim carries more weight.

tpsk1 wrote:What kind of development are you looking at from Vijayawada? Only reasons you say are Centre of AP, Largest Bus stand, Busiest Railway Junction anything else? Look brother, they are not the growth factors. Growth Factors are the ones which bring money to the state/exchequer in huge amounts.
For example, Industries , Sea Ports, Airports, Agriculture/Farming etc. They are the factors behind GDP.

Do you know the main reason why cities like Singapore/HKG are developed and their major source of revenue. They are transit hubs with excellent connectivity. You have a lot of ppl passing through your place (either stay/short transit). Realizing this fact, these places were developed as entertainment/tourist/shopping hubs. If there are enough avenues, passengers on transit will be more than happy to spend some money and this in-turn will contribute to the local economy. Do you know why several mega-malls are coming in Vijayawada despite no major employment opportunities generated here ? Why did walmart/metro opened their stores in Vijayawada first (much before in Hyderabad). Why did mega stores like lifestyle/pantaloons/globus/shoppers stop had Vijayawada on their map much before than Vizag ? Being a transit hub provides a lot of scope for indirect growth. GDP need not come from direct industrialization and direct employment opportunities. Each place has it's potential. In Vijayawada's case it is one of the major transit hubs of the country. It can be developed as an entertainment/shopping/logistics hub. Just giving you an example. There are several other opportunities linked to being a transit hub.

tpsk1 wrote:Vijayawada neither have or cannot have a Seaport. It has no major Industry. Only Agro based Industry can be developed in those most fertile lands. Any Industry would spoil it. Also, Industries will be located where there is availability of Raw material. Surroundings of Vijayawada has only Food Grains as raw material. So only Agro based Industries can be developed there.

Vijayawada might not be able to have a seaport on it's own. Atleast govt can develop the sea port at Machilipatnam (50 km from here) that has been pending for years. Even though the locals are very much open to handover the land for the project, congress govt hardly looked into the matter. There is literally no hurdle for the project to be started. Even after several strikes by local ppl/MLA, nothing moved. It is a case of pure negligence by the govt and nothing else. As far as the economy/GDP is concerned, I have already above about how this place can be developed.

tpsk1 wrote:Coming to Airport, Existence of it never serves the purpose. There should be usage of it. Even Vizag airport used to be small like Vijayawada, since the number of travellers from Vizag has gone up, due to population and purchasing power of the people Airport was expanded. This population and Purchasing power is again linked to the Industries and Economy (GDP).

Agree with your point. But in case of Vijayawada, it is not the case of purchasing power that is stopping the air carriers from operating here. It is the case of lack of infrastructure at the airport. The MOU was signed with AAI in 2007 for expanding the airport here to have a runway of 10500 sq.ft and a big new terminal building. It is already 7 years now and nothing really moved. Pure case of negligence by the state govt in taking up the land acquisition.

HCL and IBM have already announced plans to operate from Vijayawada. They are just waiting for the air connectivity to improve. I feel it is only a matter of time.

tpsk1 wrote:
Last but not least, let us not cry foul or crimp about what happened in the past, rather we should do our bit to have our place, be it Vijayawada, Vizag, Tirupati or whatever, I would say whole of new AP to develop at a fast pace giving importance to all the regions with uniform development all round.

I know that from Last 10 years what had happened in the state, Development was concentrated only in and around Hyderabad at the cost of other places. I also know, how money and resources were transferred to Hyderabad for its development.

So do not worry, now it is our time. We will collectively develop our place and first of all we should stop this infighting.

I may be wrong and my tone/language would have hurt you. I apologize for that. I don't know how to put it in a better way. I only wish all of us to be united and fight for the rightful development of our place (AP).

If you see my post clearly, it is only a reply to those guys (dont want to quote any name here) who are trying to degrade Vijayawada with false statistics and referring it with abusive words like city of rowdies/casteism etc and claiming that this place is fit for nothing. Sorry but I don't agree with you stating that I am crying foul. I am only trying to mention the facts so that those guys who are under false impressions will realize the facts. Neither I am trying to trigger any debate nor I abused any person/place in my post.

andhratalk
Telugu Teja

Postby andhratalk » June 16th, 2014, 3:28 pm

As far as shopping malls and global brands are concerned, yes there is lot of development in Vijayawada from last 5 years. Vijayawada now boast 7 big malls, 1 of them biggest in united AP (Trendset mall) and the other one PVP square biggest in Seemandhra. Besides having huge malls like Ripples, LEPL icon, LEPL oasis etc etc.

Aircosta has changed the face of Vijayawada aviation industry. Now we have even late night flights to Vijayawada from Bangalore, Hyderabad. They are waiting to launch more flights up on delivery of new air crafts which is going to happen this August. Air travelers are constantly on rise from Vijayawada airport despite no backing from Govt just because of spending power in and around Krishna, Guntur and W.Godavari people.

From hospitality point of view, Taj Gateway is the 5 star hotel in Vijayawada where as Novotel is under construction from 2013. Besides this, there are a couple of 4 star hotels and thirteen 3 star hotels.

I don't think all the above are possible to survive with out purchasing power of locals.
All these are just because of local entrepreneurs, though VJA doesn't have defense, central govt or big state govt establishments.

From ages Vijayawada has been media & print capital until all news papers HQs transferred to Hyd in mid 70's. Except for eenadu and sakshi all major newspapers like Andhra Prabha, Indian Express - Andhra, Andhra bhoomi, udayam, Andhra Jyothy, Andhra Patrika etc etc, started from Vijayawada and later shifted to Hyd. All India Radio in Vijayawada started during pre independence era and is the first one in AP. During NTRs rule Vijayawada added another feather in its cap by having a doordarshan kendra studio apart from Hyderabad in the state. Now all major FM radios have their studios in Viajayawada.

AP genco started its first power plant VTPS in Vijayawada, now it is called as NTTPS which has out put capacity of 2000 MW. This is in 1970's much before NTPC or other Genco projects were set up in major cities of Andhra. First Gas based high capacity power plant , Lanco with 1000MW was set up in early 2ks.

Apart from Agro industry, Vijayawada is well known for auto mobile industry for bus body building plants and spares manufacturing units. Actually Vijayawada boasts Asia biggest auto axillary manufacturing cluster near auto nagar. Some of well known brands are Swaraj Mazda, Tata body assembling units, Mithra Kyokuto Special Purpose Vehicles manufacturing unit.

I don't want to draw comparisons, but with out a sea port and major industries in its vicinity, Vijayawada railway division last year annual revenue is 2800Cr just with agri exports and passenger revenue, where as Vizag division with 5800 Cr. Imagine if Machiliptnam port becomes reality and Kakinada deep water sea port becomes fully operational, revenues of VJA division become multi folds (both these fall under VJA rly division). To think broadly if both ultra profit making rly divisions like VJA and VSKP comes under same rly zone, this will boost rly logistics in this region. At now these divisions are feeding loss making divisions like Nanded, Guntakal, Bhubaneswar in their respective zones.

I don't think with out its own significance Vijayawada could have been chosen or excelled in all these areas. Why not Nizamabad, Karimnagara, Mahabubnagar, Nalgonda did not develop even though they are district Headquarters from decades?

Let me tell you one thing guys, AP is blessed with more urbanization than any other state in India. Its just because of the fact with adequate state govt and central govt backing all investments were poured in to Hyderabad.

Let me tell you the strengths of AP:

Vizag - Excellent tourism potential, IT destination after Hyderabad
Kakinada - Rajuhmundry, known for its KG basin gas reserves
Rajuhmundry - Excellent agricultural hub
Eluru - Known for agriculture and prawn exports. As per TV9 report 9000 cr worth of prawn exports originate from W.Godavari itself.
Vijayawada - Multi model logistics hub with NHW intersections, railway, air ways etc, automobile mfg units. To some extent IT after Vizag. There are about 15 medium IT companies where as HCL and IBM gave their node in 2013 to open their centers in L&T Hitech City sez.
Gutntur - Tobocco, cotton, cold storage units
Ongole - Granite industry
Anantapur, Kurnool - Iron ores
Kadapa - ?
Tirupati - Pilgrim tourism

Given a non selfish leadership Andhra can excel very well in terms of GDP and has the capacity even to out weigh Tamilnadu and Maharashtra.

Return to “Vijayawada”