Leif Andersen, AKA LifeTheLiving

Telugu Sodarulara Ekamkandi.. Please introduce yourself here.. No Discussions.. Only Introductions here..
LifeTheLiving

Re: Leif Andersen, AKA LifeTheLiving

Postby LifeTheLiving » September 11th, 2005, 9:45 am

[quote="webgeek"]When was it the last you visited Andhra Pradesh? And what is your favorite place here?
quote]

Hi Webgeek,

Thanks for the welcome.

Last time was July/August 2004.

I've never been in a country with Monsoon rains .... Goodness me it rains when it rains :D

We usually fly into Chennai and take the Night train to Rajahmundry. From there we take a taxi to the children's home.

The children's home is situated next to the Godavari river. When I sit on the roof of three story house (the tallest in the village) and look out over the lush rich green landscape, with rice fields, sugar cane fields and many many coconut trees and follow the flight of the eagles living in a nearby coconut tree - I think it must be where paradise was situated. This is the place I like best :D

Unfortunately when I go down and see what is below the coconut trees in the village I realize ... it's not paradise!

When I go it's for work not pleasure. So I haven't been doing much sightseeing. But what REALLY fascinates me about AP is the children!! In my country our children hate to go to school, try everything to get out of it, don't appreciate what a big chance they have in life.

These children appreciate, value and work hard to honor the chance they have been given to get an education .... This is really what fascinates me!! They are from the villages around and from the tribal areas north ... none of their parents can read or write. So they're breaking the social heritage.

One day I was there with my wife ..... we wanted the older children, who go to junior high school to stay home one afternoon and have some social time with us, before we left for Denmark. The people running the place said ok, and we asked the children .... they reluctlantly said yes. ½ an hour later a delegation came back to us and asked if they could go to school, they were afraid to miss something!! We were flapper gasped!! (and it's not because they don't like to be with us).

Regards Leif.
This is my point of view, please don't confuse me with facts.

Anand

Postby Anand » September 16th, 2005, 9:05 am

Leif,
Do you know about Ankuram ([email protected]) an organization based in the twin cities which takes care of abused girls. I have been contributing a bit to Ankuram since it was recommended by friends that I know since 1960. I understand that it is funded by some Scandinavian, possibly Danish, organanization. I think that a group of retirees decided to contribute two perecent of their superannuation to such efforts. They also contributed money for land and money and hope that Ankuram will be self sustaining after two years (this means that Ankuram will have to start raising funds). I think they contributed similarly to some organization near Poona but somebody swallowed the money given for buyingt he land. if you know some thing about these organizations, please let us know. Regards,
Anandaswarup

LifeTheLiving

Postby LifeTheLiving » September 17th, 2005, 8:56 am

Hi Anandaswarup,

Anand wrote:Leif,
Do you know about Ankuram ([email protected]) an organization based in the twin cities which takes care of abused girls.
Anandaswarup

Sorry ... unfortunately I don't know.

Regards Leif.
This is my point of view, please don't confuse me with facts.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”